Monday, March 31, 2014

What I have been reading...

Hello,

I haven't done a book review in a while so I need to catch up!  I've haven't ready anything great, but I found a new fun series.

First up...

"The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat" by Edward Kelsey Moore

The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat

The synopsis of from Goodreads.com: "Meet Odette, Clarice, and Barbara Jean. . . Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat is home away from home for this inseparable Plainview, Indiana, trio. Dubbed “the Supremes” by high school pals in the tumultuous 1960s, they weather life’s storms together for the next four decades. Now, during their most challenging year yet, dutiful, proud, and talented Clarice must struggle to keep up appearances as she deals with her husband’s humiliating infidelities. Beautiful, fragile Barbara Jean is rocked by the tragic reverberations of a youthful love affair. And fearless Odette engages in the most terrifying battle of her life while contending with the idea that she has inherited more than her broad frame from her notorious pot-smoking mother, Dora."

My thoughts:  Usually I feel like there's something a little "off" when a book about about women's lives is written by a man, but this left me happily surprised.  This book isn't super deep, or life changing, but it's a good story and I always love books set in the Midwest.  This would be a good summer read.


Next...
"Keep Sweet" by Michele Dominguez Greene

Keep Sweet

The synopsis from Goodreads.com: "Alva Jane has never questioned her parents, never questioned her faith, never questioned her future. She is content with the strict rules that define her life in Pineridge, the walled community where she lives with her father, his seven wives, and her twenty-eight siblings. This is the only world Alva has ever known, and she has never thought to challenge it. 

But everything changes when Alva is caught giving her long-time crush an innocent first kiss. Beaten, scorned, and now facing a forced marriage to a violent, fifty-year old man, Alva suddenly realizes how much she has to lose--and how impossible it will be to escape"

My thoughts: Now this book is about serious, terrible stuff.  Usually I am all about freedom of religion, but this is not ok.  But I like to read literature about new things so I can understand them.  This didn't really help me understand, and in the end the main character resolved her problems so fast for someone so brain washed I was just like NO.


And finally...
"Some Girls Bite"  by Chloe Neill

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)

The synopsis from Goodreads.com: "I was a grad student until Chicago vampires announced their existence to the world, and a rogue vampire attacked me, scared by the master of Cadogan House. To save me, Ethan Sullivan converted me. The Lord of the Hyde Park manor is tall, green-eyed, full of four centuries worth of charm. Suddenly I am handy with serious weaponry, and pursued by an unknown enemy."

My thoughts: This series (the Chicagoland Vampires) is my new guilty pleasure - they are in Chicago, there's mystery, and ridiculously cool vampires.  And the characters are a bit over the top, but for the most part they deal with things normally - like Merit is actually upset that she was turned into a vampire against her will, she appreciates her friends etc... and most of all she is not a Bella Swan.  Although the cover art doesn't quite match the description of the main character.  There's also witches and water Nymphs and who knows what else and it's a fun easy read.   

What are you reading?  Suggestions are always welcome!

Jasmine

2 comments:

  1. The Chicagoland vampires sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm none of these sound up my alley :( But I do know someone I need to recommend the last one to!

    ReplyDelete